Thursday, October 23, 2008

CSA joy

This is the third week I've picked up a huge bag from my CSA program, and it's also the third week I've been unsure if I could even finish everything they've given us!

This week the package contains:

Two heads of beautiful hydroponic lettuce

Four sweet potatoes

One enormous Winter Squash

Arugula

Broccoli Rabe

Green beans

and Apples.


I have never really been a fan of salads, but for the past few weeks I've been eating this incredible lettuce with a little bit of goat cheese (also from a local farm) and slices of apples -- It might be my new favorite light meal.

Another wonderful discovery has been that Carlton Farms nearby sells raw milk. Milk was one of the things I was concerned about finding locally but it turned out to be easy. My mother picked up the first delivery for me and called in a panic, worried that she'd bought the wrong thing.

"It says PET MILK on it!"

(Once I explained that they had to label it that way because it was raw milk, she calmed down.)


I took some bananas that were going bad from work and made banana muffins with the eggs and milk from Carlton farms last week and they were a perfect morning snack.


So far, the Eat Local Challenge has helped me discover some new foods and made me enjoy cooking a lot more. I'm looking forward to continuing this trend.